Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Our adventure going to the States..

It's been a while since I last posted anything.. truth is, we have run into some issues that kept us busy and now we are finally settle for while.
Since I was few months old I was diagnosed with Atopic Dermatitis, a skin condition which gave a lot of headache to my mom, since It made me allergic to disposable diapers, and other things, besides the fact that I couldn't get too much sun exposure otherwise rashes would appear.. It has been 10 years since my last outbreak. Stress is a big factor as well. Last time we came to the island in fall 2009 because of how much heat and high humidity there was I got a little on my hands, but going back to the States made it better, although recovery was very slow. I was almost healed as we came back. However, I ignored the fact that it worsen quickly if you already have an outbreak, regardless how small it is, and if you are in your second trimester of pregnancy. So here we are all excited to be back, Samuel in half day school, Benjamin enjoying mami time, and me cooking away and loving island life.. Then it started getting worse by the week, pretty soon by day. I was able to control it some but not to stop it from spreading. So after few miserable nights and getting harder to use my hands without pain or frantically itching, we decided for the kids and I to return to the States 2 months sooner than we had planned.
After the long explanation, let's talk about the trip back.
Since we weren't being picked up until noon Wednesday, June23rd, we decided to let Samuel go to school in the morning and have early lunch together and then leave to the airport. At the school, the teachers expressed how much they were gonna miss him since he was very obedient, always paying attention and respectful.
He was being shy about it and didn't want me to take pictures, so I just did it while in action..

This was with Mary the director of the daycare, and the next with his teacher Ms. Nella.Benjamin always enjoyed picking him up from school since he would get few minutes of new books and toys..

We had lunch at the usual spot (deck) and said few bye byes.. Kelly, who Samuel loves had a nice huge.. we sure will miss her and little Shane.
The day was rainy so that helped us hurry more..I never got around taking pictures of he whole way from the house to campus, but I attempted to get a little video from the transport.. really is was terrible but better than nothing.. I got pictures from outside of campus by shacks..Then, this would be the street on the right of the shacks, and past the first two cars you see a white truck.. That is where the video starts..
And this is where it ends.. at our house, which is the second floor of this building on the right corner where the corner balcony shows..
Under it was GA Enterprices or "Tinas groceries". Everyday walking home from school with Samuel, he would always talk to Mrs Tina about his day and how "exhausted" he was from walking. She enjoyed his stories so much, she would give him cookies some times. So I told him that may be she would if he smiled on the picture.. get the huge smile?As we were living she gave him a "go Henry" bar but he doesn't like chocolate that much so Benjamin and I sure enjoyed it!
Bags, stroller, etc were packed in the van and honestly I don't get teary either because I am so focused on the thought of what is coming, where to go, did I forget something.. but my dear hubby does. I felt bad because of how emotional he was and I was just my usual calmed self... We said good bye quickly and daddy stayed lonely and teary waving as we left. The kiddo es didn't quite get that daddy was staying and were so excited to travel..
So excited, that two blocks away fell asleep until we got to the airport 45 minutes later. There we got suitcases checked and off we go.
I was lucky enough that one of the elders was being transfer to another area in Puerto Rico so he was waiting for the same flight as we were. He helped me with the bags.. yes, forgot to take a picture with him. Still thankful though. We got to PR very hungry and Samuel got excited when I said "how about McDs for dinner?" so we got Mc Nuggets and fries and they scarfed down 5 pieces each.. so that made their tummies full for what was about to come..

We took our connecting flight from PR at 7:30pm and got to Tampa at 10:30pm.. I had made reservations in a "near" hotel which I booked on hotwire. So, double stroller, two kids, two carry-ons two backpacks, plus their blankets.. nice load to mobilize with.. (still havent learned to fly lighter) did I mentioned pregnant? Went outside to wait for shuttle, but after asking they told me to call from the free phone inside which had all the codes of the hotels.. EXCEPT for the one I was staying at! I left my hotel reservation paper so had no phone number either.. I tried calling my in-laws with my credit card and no answer with was strange since they have an answer machine (they just had a huge storm and had no power.. little did I know..) Then, phone book was handy but not the fact that the hotel number was wrong.. Thankfully the kiddoes fell asleep so no problem there. Finally, past 11pm one of the security guys helped me with his "internet phone", got the number and called for me... I got a young guy who said, "Sorry mam, the shuttle service runs 6am to 10:30pm." Did I mentioned I had to be at the airport by 5am? Great! why didn't I just stayed at the airport for just 6 hours? Did I mentioned the gate I came from and departed from were next to each other? Later, Jay asked me why didn't I just lost the reservation and stayed at the airport.. well, I wasn't thinking since I was soooo tired. So, I proceeded to take a van cab since we had too much crap for a regular cab, and made it to the hotel. The only poor fella working had to help me outside of the lobby since the stroller wouldn't fit thru the door.. then he took me to a first floor room but the key wouldn't work. Went back, changed me to a different room which was on the other side, and couldn't fit the stroller through the passage way because of the bushes, so he helped me carry everything to the room. Talking to him, I just started laughing so hard.. I couldn't help it. I told him, "I really am so tired, and so many things just not working well that I either cry or laugh.. how about laughing he?" He laughed too, and was very nice offering us food from the continental breakfast we were going to miss next morning. Samuel was excited about apples that he had two. Poor Benjamin was so tired he kept sleeping even after carrying to the bed..Yes, he is the little spot on the right of the bed.. Samuel asked to watch TV and I kept laughing.. you serious? No sir, off to bed.
But he colored a little while I was trying to get online to let Jay know we made it ok.. By then it was 12:30am and obviously he wasn't on. However, the hotel host did mentioned that a "guy" had been calling for me for a couple of hours before we got to the hotel.. So he called again at 1am and at least was able to know we were ok. I admitted it, it was a residential hotel, so they had everything in and out of them, but no time to enjoy it. The worst part was that I payed in cabs the same I payed for the one night at the hotel, or the 4 hours we stayed there anyways.. Lesson learned.

We continued the next morning bright and early (5am, since flight was at 6am), got to Dallas, TX on time, and then we had a delay.. although not for too long, it just made it dragging to get home. Luckily, next to the gate was a little play area.. my boys were sooooooooooo excited..

I let them play until the last minute to board.. we also grabbed a couple of crispy cream doughnuts, sold on the little stand next to it.. We all just enjoyed them.. even Samuel was giving Benjamin bites of his since I wasn't fast enough with mine.. sooo cute.
By 11am Thursday, we made it@! I did had watery eyes to see my mother-in-law, because I knew I made it! Samuel run to her from far away and as not touchy as he is gave her a big hug right away.Benjamin didn't make it out of the parking lot awake. So tired little guy.

So, we got Samuel's favorite fast food "taco bell" and ate out in the lawn.. power was back on their house so AC was working yey!

After eating Samuel got his tricycle out and went up and down the block. And then checking all the toys still in the garage. Then, he had to go potty, and after he got out he went through each room and basement to check out what had changed.



After his approval, he told me, "wow, grandma and grandpa have lots of things for us, how nice of them.." Then out he goes and played his giggles guitar for a while..
He danced and just kept asking me to wake up Benjamin to show him all the toys and rooms.. A while later he woke up and they were sooo excited playing with all the toys; especially together!

Later they both watched on of their favorite movies "Space Jam" and kept playing for the rest of the afternoon.
Here, the victorious picture of the luggage in the van.. with little mama!

After all, we made it home safe and sound!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like quite the adventure! We really miss you guys a lot, but I'm sure the boys are having fun with grandma and with all the fun toys! Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete